Monterrey

Monterrey

Monday, November 3, 2014

Abounding in Good Works- Sabinas Hidalgo- Week 1

Okay, so I'm in a place called Sabinas Hidalgo. It is the farthest away I have ever been from Monterrey. It's the closest I've been to the United States. It is interesting. It kind of reminds me of McCall in a lot of ways. But the people here are way different than my last area. In my last area, the people were usually fairly well off and educated. Here, education is very rare and poverty is much more common, so that has been interesting. Teaching them is more like teaching children, and that is a new challenge, because John Taylor (I think) said that real intelligence is being able to explain big mysterious things in a way children could understand it. Like this Sunday, when I was trying to teach everything I know about the Spirit World to 3 elderly recent converts. but in a way they would understand, so it'll be fun.
We also have bikes here. So that is a challenge. In my last area we sometimes walked really fast for 30 minutes, and I had gotten used to that, but here we ride bikes a lot and my body isn't used to that, so my legs are sore and I have to make new muscles that I haven't used in forever. Apart from that, my pedal keeps falling off, but it's okay. It's in the same general direction that Real de Palmas was. I'm in the same zone as them to use a missionary term, same stake. and well, that's about all I have to say so far. I'm still getting to know the place, but I figure I'll be here until the day I die, in missionary life terms, of course. (Missionaries say they "die" when they end their mission and return home). Oh, and my companion is Elder Garcia. He is from Michoacan (something like that) originally. That's where all the butterflies come from, but I think he was a few years living in Morelos, a different state. And well, that's all the news I have for you guys.
I do eat nopales (cactus). I didn't eat those particular nopales, because there was a lot of meat and only a fool would eat nopales when there is meat available. But this other day I ate some nopales that were super spicy and good, Nopales are interesting. They sometimes have  a kind of rubbery texture, and I have found that they are something of an acquired taste, but maybe I will find some and cook them for you all when I get home.
That was a really cool story about your fast Sunday. I'm so glad that everything was able to have a happy ending and that you spent time together and all that good stuff. And I had a companion whose first name was Ezra, named after President Benson, even though Ezra in English is in the Old Testament. In Spanish it is Esdras, so that's a little fun fact. We are also here in this area with 2 other elders, Elder Curtis and Elder Glade, 2 gringos from Utah. Curtis has 17 months in the mission, so he is almost old like me, and Elder Glade is fresh out of the MTC, so it is fun being with them, Garcia has about 4 months, I think. There is a very smelly dog behind me right now. Never mind, it left. Well, I think that is about everything I have to say. You're going to yell at me, but I didn't take any pictures this week, I'll see if I can get you any next week. Okay? Well, I love you all very much and hope that you have a great day and a great week and a great month and that you all do great things always, always abounding in good works and stuff like that. BYE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment