That story is funny, but I don't think that means the same thing here. ( I told him a story about a friend that had a mix up with some Spanish words and ended up saying something pretty embarassing for a missionary.) It is crazy how much Spanish changes between countries or regions. Like, I have had comps that tell me about words they use every day in their places, that here are among the most profane vulgarities. So, Spanish is fun. And I might have told you about this before, but palomita, for example, can mean either popcorn, or refer to a dove or pigeon. And there isn't any way to know. And I've heard that in Argentina cajeta is a bad word or something, and here it is a caramel type spread. So, Spanish is weird. And I'm not learning Spanish, I'm learning Mexican, and more specifically Regio, which is what the people from Monterrey are called.
In response to the people sneaking across the border into America, I've met a few Hondureños that have been making their way to the U.S. or that have been kicked out, but sometimes they just stay here and sell tacos and give up on their American dream.
And that is cool that Lily is a little fish. And I'm so excited for the trip to New Zealand next summer (to see grandparents on their mission). That is going to be awesome.
And do you want to hear a story about how I am trying to be more Christlike? Yesterday this crazy lady came to church. She always talks to us and claims to be receiving communications from God and has special missions and stuff like that. But yesterday, she came to church and didn't want to leave, and everybody just kept making her more angry, so she wouldn't leave. Then, I talked to her and let her tell me all of her craziness, and after a little while she ran out of crazy things to say and went home. But she went home thinking that I was her friend, instead of going home angry and thinking we're all losers. So I felt like I had improved my patience and maybe love, too, because I wanted her to feel happy, even though it was something hard for me. But it made me feel good. But she seriously is crazy and basically homeless. Like she lives in a home, but it doesn't have a door, so we think she just lives there without permission.
Apart from her, there is this other kind of crazy, but not literally insane, investigator we have named Don Juan that is a super Cristiano and kind of just wants to fight with us every time we go. But we have been teaching him, and it is interesting, and we are going to have to see what comes of him. He has been to church a lot, but he might be too prideful and stubborn to let the Lord touch his heart and help him change.
So that's what's going on here. I hope all's well in your neck of the woods. I love all of you, and hope that you have great weeks.!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment