I know you apologized for the chastisement (for writing so little in the past few weeks), but I'm going to explain myself a bit. First, we are only supposed to have an hour to write. So that isn't a ton of time. And sometimes, like last week, we don't have time for a full hour before it is six. So while I'm sure you would like to hear from me, I imagine that you would rather have me obedient a little bit more. And I am trying to be obedient for Elder Slater. Not like a few of my companions have been. So while I might not be able to write about a ton of stuff, because I'm being more obedient now that I'm in charge.
Also, as far as who we are teaching, there isn't a lot to say, because we don't really have investigators. The people we have been teaching aren't really progressing. We have been doing some good work with the less active members here, and Elder Slater and I always feel like we are doing good things, but there are no progressing investigators of which to speak. But something that has been fun is that there has been an increased focus on contacts in this last weeks. I might have told you. But we have turned to knocking on doors a little bit more. Not all out door knocking, where we want to go door to door, but just every once in a while we stop and knock on a door. At first it was super scary. But we are getting the hang of it, and last night we even had a really good contact that turned into an other lesson, but then the people said, "A Bible, a Bible, we have a Bible, why need we more Bible?" But it was still pretty cool. Because these last few days I have been able to still try to teach people after they say things like "I'm a Jehovah's witness, and I have my religion" Or "I teach catechism classes in my Catholic church" (because honestly that lady shouldn't be teaching anything- we told her the story of Stephen getting stoned, and she didn't believe that it was in the Bible). So life is still pretty good.
I'm sorry that I haven't taken pictures in a while, and I actually do feel the need to do that more, so I will see what I can do for you in this coming week.
That whole typhoon thing sounds wild. It has been raining here, but I guess I will just stop whining about that. Also, I'm so glad you are listening to the book (Jesus the Christ). It really is hard to understand, and I remember in the MTC, I looked up words in a dictionary, and they just aren't in there. So Talmage is a really smart guy, but I still think there is a ton to learn from any part that we can understand.
That dream was totally nuts. Don't just start hugging people, because that is super weird. But ice cream alley is about the normal size of things here, so there might be some revelation in that dream.
The members here are cool. The poor ones are super helpful, and the rich ones just sit around and spume about themselves and their holiness. (Spume is an adaptation of the Spanish word espuma or espumear meaning fluff or foam, and when used as a verb it describes talking about things that don't matter or over elaborating ideas without planning actions and things of that nature). So that is pretty fun, and the dynamic is interesting, and you can see that nobody is perfect. Because the less active guy that gets drunk everyonce and a while is a lot more humble and charitable than the guy in the temple presidency, so there are some interesting judgments to get thrown down around here.
The food is usually pretty good. I guess I am super grateful for the missionary karma I'm getting.
Well, sorry if I didn't write you enough still, but I feel like I wrote more, so I hope you are happy. I would also like to point out that missionary work is easier if you forget about yourself and family and home and stuff like that. And the mission manual advises that we don't spend a ton of time, so that we don't pull our minds away from the work. But I'm sorry if I sound like a Pharisee, or I'm planching you (?) or something, because I love you!!! I hope you guys all have a good Veteran's Day and a fun week. I will send you pictures next Monday. BYEEEE!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU ALLLL!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment