(Letter)
Dear Family,
Guess What? And I am sorry I waited a whole day to tell you, But Guess who spoke at the Tuesday devotional? It was Elder Richard G. Scott! He talked about prayer! It was super awesome. He talked a lot about how prayer is an amazing blessing. He said something like, "Imagine that the supremely powerful, all-knowing God, asks you to communicate as much as you can." He told us, "Just talk to your compassionate, understanding Father in Heaven."
He talked about the 3 ways that God can answer our prayers. He can give us comfort (yes!), some as unsettling "stupor of thoughts," and then he says that sometimes God gives us no response, because he wants us to grow by exercising our faith and assume accountability by acting on teachings. It is evidence of God's trust in us, and we should be grateful and we need to act. One of the things that we need to understand is that God answers our prayers in a way that will help us the most even if we don't really understand, or if we think that it would be more convenient otherwise. Then came a really cool part. He gave us an Apostolic blessing. He blessed us that we could learn the language. He told us to talk to God about our difficult companions. He told us that if we wrote about our experiences, we will be establishing a sound platform for the rest of our lives. At the end of his talk, he said, "I know He lives, I know Jesus Christ lives, because I know Him. Amen." After the devotional we have a district devotional (? I can't read the next word), and we had a member of the Branch Presidency, who came in, and he shared a little bit about the testimony of the 3 witnesses of the Book of Mormon. In a section of D&C (Doctrine and Covenants), it that talks about the 3 witnesses being "special witnesses." Later, he talked about the BD (Bible Dictionary) definition of and Apostle, and it says that they are called to be special witnesses of Christ, especially His divinity and resurrection. It just added a lot to his amazingly powerful testimony.
After we sang the closing song, this sister was walking up to say the closing prayer. Elder Scott jumped right back up and beat her to the podium. He repeated a lot of the same things he had already said, but it was a cool thing to see him jump up and move so fast, because I'm sure that someone needed that message.
It was all really cool, and I didn't do a good job of explaining how cool it was. You can ask me more about it, because I am sure I can tell you more. I love you guys and hope that you are all having a good time. Don't be too sad without me, because I am having a great time here getting ready to go and start my mission!
Sincerely,
Elder Mason Parkes
No comments:
Post a Comment